1 post tagged melian
"Silmarillion Chapter 4: Of Thingol and Melian"
"Then an enchantment fell on him, and he stood still still; and afar off beyond the voices of the lómelindi he heard the voice of Melian, and it filled all his heart with wonder and desire. He forgot utterly all his people and the purposes of his mind, and following the birds under the shadow of the trees he passed deep into Nan Elmoth and was lost. But he came at last to a glade open to the stars, and there Melian stood; and out of the darkness he looked at her, and the light of Aman was in her face."
Thingol and Melian are the High King and Queen of Beleriand, and functionally all of Middle-Earth in their day. Melian is a Maia, the race of spirits that include Sauron. Tolkien gives very little description of her, so I decided to keep a slightly otherworldly appearance, with horns like a faun or forest spirit. She’s actually much wiser than her husband and much more joyful, so I wanted to make sure that imagery held.
Thingol is the King of the Sindar, the “Grey Elves” who stayed in Middle-Earth (though Thingol himself made the journey to Aman once). As the tallest of the Men and Elves and one of the mightiest in battle, I wanted to keep his form larger and imposing. Older Elves can grow beards, and I’ve decided that any male Elf who was among the first to awaken (this includes Thingol) will be sporting a beard.
Previous Silmarillion entries:
- Ainulindalë - The Music of the Ainur
- Valaquenta - Account of the Valar and Maiar in according to the lore of the Eldar
- The Monsters of Middle-Earth
- The Free Peoples of the First Age
- Silmarillion Chapter 1 - Of the Beginning of Days
- Silmarillion Chapter 2 - Of Aulë and Yavanna
- Silmarillion Chapter 3 - Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor