Proof that I have not read nearly enough great comics.
A collection of my primary visual influences. This is a neat meme; I found it interesting to really sit down and figure out what artists or other sources have had the most impact on my style.
I figured I’d reblog my old visual influence map, as I’ve been getting a lot of questions about it lately. Here’s a breakdown:
- Moebius - French cartooning legend and my personal comics hero.
- Alessandro Barbucci & Barbara Canepa - Amazing duo best known for Sky Doll.
- Fritz Lang - Director of Metropolis, M, & so much more- titan of German Expressionism
- Chris Appelhans - Cartoonist & concept designer on Coraline & Monster House.
- Barnaby Ward - Author of the amazing graphic novel Sixteen Miles to Merricks.
- Shaun Tan - Writer & illustrator of The Arrival.
- Hayao Miyazaki - Director of Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke and much more.
- Pierre Alary - French cartoonist probably best known for Belladonne.
- David Hellman - Artist behind the videogame Braid and the webcomic A Lesson is Learned.
- Ralph McQuarrie - Principal artist & designer for the original Star Wars trilogy.
- Roger Dean - Painter & illustrator, best known for his Yes progressive rock album covers.
- James Gurney - Author & illustrator of Dinotopia.
- Panzer Dragoon - Probably my favorite video game, from the Sega Saturn way back when.
- Mike Mignola - American cartoonist & creator of Hellboy.
- Enrique Fernandez - Amazing artist & illustrator, possibly best known for his adaptation of The Wizard of Oz and his own work L’île Sans Sourire. Currently working on Brigada.