This is a Dark Lord size chart I sketched a while back, for personal reference in the Silmarillion Project. You really don’t realize how many forms Sauron has taken in his time (and these don’t even count the monsters!)
Left to Right:
- Morgoth in the First Age - essentially a rogue god, he’s a bit too big for the picture
- Sauron (as Gorthaur the Cruel) - Morgoth’s #2 guy, ruling over an island fortress of werewolves
- Sauron (as Annatar, Giver of Gifts) - this is the “fair” form he took to give out his Rings of Power
- Sauron after the Fall of Numenor - his “fair” form destroyed, Sauron could only take on horrifying appearances after this.
- The Necromancer of Dol Guldur - a dark wizard, hiding in the shadows until he could regain his strength
- Sauron during the War of the Ring - terrible to behold, ever searching for his Ring